Thursday, May 24, 2012

Oh Flats, How I Love Thee...

If you haven't been following along, I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry (Because life isn't crazy and busy enough without this challenge ;)). For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!

Yesterday was Day 3 of the Challenge! Things were pretty hectic, so I didn't get a chance to post until now! (What? Life gets crazy with three kids? Why yes, yes it does.) The Challenge is going pretty well.  I really like flats so no problems there. They do take a little longer to prep than prefolds so I'm usually frantically trying to fold them while holding onto Baby C's leg, but other than that.... it's been pretty swell. 

Two Gerber flats folded
diaper bag style held in place with a snappi
How Do I Fold These Things?

I LOVE flat diapers. I feel a pretty sweet sense of accomplishment after turning a big flat square of cloth into a diaper for Baby C. It's fun - although can be time-consuming (so I also love prefolds that I don't have to fold :)). But back to flats: they rock. They're a great way to get a good fit on baby and minimize blowouts. For about a two month period before Baby C was eating solids, these were the only diapers I could get to hold everything in and not ruin the covers. So, now that I've talked them up, here is how I fold my flats:
My all-time favorite is the diaper bag fold. I use this most of the day with a snappi or pins to hold it in place. It really contains the poop, especially for breastfed babies like our little dude. I also like that it puts some extra fabric up front where little boys really need it. 

At night I've been using a GMD flat (the thickest one I have) pad folded with a Gerber flat folded into a rectangle to bulk it up. This has worked really well with no leaks! The pad fold is also good for pre-stuffing my covers for the hubby or grandma. 

Another option is the origami fold. I really enjoy folding the flat to get this cool-looking shape, but let me tell you this does NOT work at all for Baby C! I don't know if it's the chunky thighs or my folding skills (or lack thereof) or what! But the last time I used this fold, we had some major blowout issues... Never again. It might work well on skinnier babies though or little girlies, or more talented folders... give it a try! If nothing else, you'll feel pretty cool after turning a flat piece of cloth into this nifty nappy. ;)

WASHING UPDATE: I finally washed diapers Tuesday night. It was an unforgettable experience, let me tell ya. Stay tuned for all the nitty gritty details in my next post! 


Check out how others are using their flats for the Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment